Tuesday, March 1, 2011

task #3 : Carly McGhee


          These images were taken in a bathroom at Goodhandy's for the Sodom: Vampire Ball hosted in the Gay village Saturday February 19 2011. 

             A lot of my previous work has been an experiment in documentation photography, taking inspiration from Nan Goldin and Terry Richardson. After watching Enter the Void, I was inspired to revisit my work for a series I titled "Trashy and Tragic: Documenting my generation. This body of work looked at my generation and there obsession with instant photography while partying & drinking.I examined through a series of photographs their need to capture themselves at these moments of intoxication and they ability to edit or delete when sober. The above images were taken on a iPhone using a downloaded application with photo editing capabilities. I decided to put myself(sober) in these photos and turn control of the camera over to someone intoxicated and let them capture the images. Using a red filter it creates a similar theme seen in the movie Enter the void, most often figures are depicted in a red light. When looking over the captured images I decided that one image was not enough and included four to create somewhat of a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment