Monday, February 28, 2011

Filena Arcia Assignment 1 Task 3






After watching "Enter the Void" I found my self very drawn to the use of saturated colours and neon lights. It was something I saw again and again and I wanted to experiment and see if I could create a sense of confusion and pull with still images using neon signs and colours. I also was drawn to the reference to death as well as religion which got me thinking about the 7 deadly sins (Pride or Vanity, Envy, Lust, Gluttony, Anger, Greed, and Sloth) which merges this idea of death and religion. The 7 deadly sins are also representative of some of the things that go on in the movie. I decided to explore neon signs that had something to do with this theme and warp them to create a collage of seedy red light district feeling images. I want the viewer to almost get lost in the image like I got lost in the visuals of the movie. 
Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.
Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation.
Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.
Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body.
Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.
Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness.
Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.

2 comments:

  1. Very reminiscent of the opening credits to the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the first thing I was reminded of as well, the opening credits. The images look really good !
    -stefanie c

    ReplyDelete