Monday, February 28, 2011

Ar't we better off because of it? Renée Drexler

I found certain images in Gaspar Noe's 
film Enter the Void provocative - specifically
the scene where you see a penis penetrating
a vagina. I wanted to incorporate flesh tones
into this work since I feel these tones evoke desire.

In the process of making this work, I was reminded
of using Crayola pencil crayons to draw when I was a kid.
I remembered never knowing what colour 
to use to draw skin. You usually never got the peachy flesh colour
pencil unless you bought the really big box of crayons. The 
brown and black kids never had that problem because
those colours always came in the 12 pack.
I have no idea what this means:)
However, there may be something uncomfortable in 
the idea of using children's crayons to make provocative 
imagery.



1 comment:

  1. I really like that you went there. I was expecting a lot more penises this week, but you made up for the rest of us :)
    The drawing style reminds me of those weird salad finger cartoons. I think the tiny penises are like his finger puppets.
    Something about this also makes me think of war propaganda. I think it is the torn woman's body and the little penises looking like missiles or bullets. I don't know what I am articulating here, but I see war.
    -Caitlin Baker

    ReplyDelete