Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Assignment 1, task2 - Elena Franzese


The object I chose for the starting point was this mushroom pendant I received for the 1st Christmas with my hubby =).  I summed up the main colours as red-orange and blue-green, but I simplified it to red and blue.

"The color of ocean and sky, blue is perceived as a constant in our lives. As the collective color of the spirit, it invokes rest and can cause the body to produce chemicals that are calming. However, not all blues are serene and sedate." - Kate Smith

Blue has been a constant in my life for more than just the common reasons mentioned in the above quote.  At age 4, I had a strange dream (felt like a nightmare at the time) that I'll never forget.  I crawled through a long dark tunnel that led to a bright white room filled with kids painting pictures on the floor.  One girl in the room asked what colour my brother's hair was.... I was puzzled by the random question, but I still answered, "Brown."  Then for some reason the girl plopped blue paint on my hair; feeling upset and threatened (thought I'd be attacked more if I stayed), I screamed and ran back the way I came.  The tunnel linked to my bedroom, and when I got back, I had actually woken up right at this point, but the dream leaked into reality.  So, above my head, I saw a creepy blue lady ready to grab me.  Screaming again, I ran out of the room.

Ironically enough, I dyed my hair blue later on when I was 19 or 20.



At age 12, I had another dream that involved the colour blue.  Long story short, there was one part where I had put make-up on, and when I looked at my reflection, my whole face was blue (as opposed to just having, say, blue eye shadow), and it looked a little lumpy...just weird.


So, unpleasant dreams involved blue.  However, it has been a positive colour for me, later in life, as well.  The background used in my image for this assignment is a photo of a painting I did; for me, it reflected a meditative state.  Lastly, as for the image of myself with a blue tank top and red hair: I love red and blue together.  I almost always prefer each colour with one another.  As van Gogh once said, "There is no blue without yellow and without orange."  I paired it with red, but it's essentially still paired with a warm colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment