Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Assignment 1, task3 - Elena Franzese


Ever since I was a toddler, I was able to pick up subtle hues in objects that otherwise appeared to have dull and muted colours.  For example, something like pavement, which appears to be just shades of grey, is something I can look at and see the variations of hues.

The top image is a cropped selection of a Chinese Dragon head that was the front of a roller coaster train for a ride at a Winter Festival I recently went to in Vaughan.  Not only do I like the image, I am using it as a comparison between something that is noticeably colourful and something that appears to not be colourful at all: pavement.  But in the 2nd image, I increased the saturation by 85%, which is a moderate exaggeration of what I pick up with my senses...  The 3rd image is the same photograph of the pavement, with the saturation increased all the way (100%).  At this level of saturation, it's just as colourful and vibrant as the Chinese Dragon.   
I enjoy picking up on the hidden colours in objects; and through art, I love to emphasize them (though I don't do it ALL the time...). 

2 comments:

  1. Very jackson pollock! I like how it all started from something as simple as cement. Who would have thought.
    Filena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like the middle image of the 85% saturation on its own. I think looking at cement could be a whole series of images, I wonder where all these tiny rock fleck come from, what the process is. There could be rocks from all over Canada, or the world, smooshed together, totally unnoticed.
    Subtly highlighting the colour differences help indicate their variations.
    -Caitlin Baker

    ReplyDelete